Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Part 3: Why Ireland?

Ireland. The mere mention of the name brings my heart to a place of mystic beauty and eternal longing. I have always seen images of the Irish hills and cliffsides. These images help me to realize how lovely God has made His creations because even amidst the fiercest storms, these lansdscapes show a perfect harmony and peace. I have a little of Irish blood in me, and in my family you can definitely discern that due to our stubborn ways. However, as I have observed several instances in history when the Irish have been persecuted, I see that family bonds are rarely broken. I also love Irish music! In fact, I am an Irish step dancer with a group here in Lubbock called the High Plains Irish Dancers (there is a Gaelic name, but I can't spell it.) My whole family is musically inclined, but the main genre they preform is classical guitar. I think one of the most prominent reasons I enjoy Irish music so much is because even though some songs can be overwhelming with polyphonic melodies, one can still distinguish the true rhythm and ultimate melody. It is like life! If you really know what you believe in, then when everything around seems to rise above your understanding, in your heart you will still have the truth and the faith to know what's important in this world.

1 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger CJS said...

OK, good. Certainly Ireland has always been a very spiritual place (both before and after the arrival of Christianity), and the Catholicism that developed in medieval Ireland was quite different than that developed on the Continent--and retained much more of the old pre-Christian beliefs as well.

On the other hand, religion has been an incredibly problematic issue in Ireland, going back to the 12th century and down to the present day. It'll be a major topic in our seminar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home