Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Partner Intro

My partner is Sarai. She chose an image depicting a band called Trippin’ Up the Stairs just playing some tunes and having what looks like a fun session. I myself very much enjoyed this picture, and I feel that Sarai and I both have an appreciation for how these musicians create an atmosphere of relaxation as well as intensity. Sarai explains that the fiddler isn’t playing this round because perhaps she is either being polite to the piper or she simply does not know the song. Whether it is one or the other, Sarai says it does not matter because the other musicians know what to do and the session continues.
The writing excerpts that Sarai chose were from two authors, Cahill and Webb. I am so glad that she chose two pieces, and I love how they are so relative to each other! I think that the picture and poem I chose has a slight connection to this particular part of Sarai’s assignment. She talks about the “uncivilized” approach that most people stereotype with the Irish. But, on the other hand, the perseverance of these people’s stubbornness and the positive influences they provide, as in history and music, allows the world to redefine their seemingly rude accusations toward the Irish.
I am discovering that Sarai and I share several things in common, especially our background previous to taking this class. She explained that she never really studied Irish aspects, specifically music, before doing independent research under her mentor, Dr. Smith. I’ve always been fascinated with the Irish tradition, and until about three years ago, I had never engaged myself in any events concerning Ireland. Also, I feel that with the image and excerpts Sarai chose, she realizes that assumptions about the Irish tend to occur in the realms of spontaneous, wild, and rugged. However, just by reading her comments makes me understand that she does not place the Irish culture next to aristocratical standards that the world often does. She admires the Irish for who they are, what they have done and what they have overcome to make their precious mark in history. I feel the same way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home