Saturday, January 21, 2006

One student's research idea and CJS response

Jordan wrote:
I was considering conducting my research on the differences between
regional musical styles. I've looked into it online, and I think it
would be a good topic, but I'd like to make sure the differences between
the regional styles are large enough to compare and contrast. From what
I've read, I think they are, but I'm just making sure.

CJS replied:
Yes, there certainly are contrasts b/w different regional styles,
particularly as regards certain instruments, most notably the fiddle:
Sligo fiddling is very different from Donegal fiddling which is in turn
very different from Clare fiddling. The differences are nearly as
evident b/w regional flute styles or "accents", but less pronounced with
piping styles (pipes, flute, and fiddle are the core instruments in the
tradition). Could you find ways to tie these researched contrasts to
other factors, like regional linguistic accent, topography, contrasts of
regional lifestyles or professions, history, and so on? (I think yes).

I'm taking the liberty of posting your query and this reponse to the
blog, as it's a good idea and one which others may be able to spin off
from (though of course you have first dibs on this particular issue).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home